ACA Silver Plans by State

WRITTEN BY: Craig Sturgill


ACA Silver Plans are designed to balance cost and coverage, making them an excellent choice for individuals and families looking to protect their health and financial well-being. In this article, we’ll discuss the intricacies of ACA Silver Plans. 

Understanding ACA Silver Plans

The key differentiator of Silver Plans is their cost-sharing structure, where the insurance company generally covers approximately 70% of healthcare costs on average. In comparison, the policyholder is responsible for the remaining 30%. This division makes Silver Plans an attractive option for those requiring moderate medical services but still want peace of mind with substantial coverage.

The level of financial assistance and premium tax credits available for ACA Silver Plans depends on an individual or family’s income and household size. Subsidies can significantly reduce monthly premiums, making Silver Plans an even more affordable choice for those who qualify. Moreover, ACA Silver Plans must cover essential health benefits, including preventive services, hospitalizations, prescription drugs, and more, ensuring policyholders have access to necessary medical services.

What is an ACA Silver plan?

what is an aca silver plan

An ACA Silver Plan is a type of health insurance policy available through the Health Insurance Marketplace, established by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). As part of the “metal tier” plans, Silver Plans offer a balanced approach between premium costs and coverage benefits.

One of the key advantages of ACA Silver Plans is the availability of premium tax credits and subsidies, which can significantly lower the monthly premium costs for eligible individuals. The amount of financial assistance is based on household income and size.

These subsidies make ACA Silver Plans more affordable, empowering more people to access quality health insurance coverage. Additionally, Silver Plans must adhere to essential health benefits requirements, ensuring that policyholders receive vital services such as preventive care, prescription drugs, and hospitalization coverage.

Coverage and benefits

These plans cover various medical services, including hospital stays, emergency care, prescription drugs, and preventive services. With approximately 70% of healthcare costs covered by the insurance company on average, Silver Plans offer substantial financial protection for individuals and families.

Policyholders can access regular check-ups, screenings, and vaccinations without additional costs, promoting preventive care and early detection of potential health issues.


ACA Silver Plans employ a cost-sharing structure that balances premiums and out-of-pocket expenses. Policyholders cover approximately 30% of their healthcare costs, while the insurance company shoulders the remaining 70% on average. This cost-sharing mechanism enables individuals to enjoy more affordable monthly premiums while benefiting from substantial coverage.

Additionally, those who qualify for premium tax credits and subsidies can further reduce their out-of-pocket expenses, making ACA Silver Plans even more accessible to a broader range of individuals and families.

State-Specific ACA Marketplace and Resources

To make the most of your ACA Silver Plans exploration, navigating the state-specific ACA resources can help. Each state operates its own Marketplace, providing a personalized array of healthcare plans and enrollment choices. Discover valuable information for your area by visiting our state pages below.


Alabama ACA Plans

Alabama Medicaid


Alaska ACA Plans

Alaska Medicaid


Arizona ACA Plans

Arizona Medicaid


Arkansas ACA Plans

Arkansas Medicaid


California ACA Plans

California Medicaid


Colorado ACA Plans

Colorado Medicaid


Connecticut ACA Plans

Connecticut Medicaid


Delaware ACA Plans

Delaware Medicaid


Florida ACA Plans 

Florida Medicaid


Georgia ACA Plans

Georgia Medicaid


Hawaii ACA Plans 

Hawaii Medicaid


Idaho ACA Plans

Idaho Medicaid


Illinois ACA Plans

Illinois Medicaid


Indiana ACA Plans

Indiana Medicaid


Iowa ACA Plans 

Iowa Medicaid


Kansas ACA Plans

Kansas Medicaid


Kentucky ACA Plans

Kentucky Medicaid


Louisiana ACA Plans

Louisiana Medicaid


Maine ACA Plans 

Maine Medicaid


Maryland ACA Plans 

Maryland Medicaid


Massachusetts ACA Plans

Massachusetts Medicaid


Michigan ACA Plans

Michigan Medicaid


Minnesota ACA Plans

Minnesota Medicaid


Mississippi ACA Plans 

Mississippi Medicaid


Missouri ACA Plans

Missouri Medicaid


Montana ACA Plans

Montana Medicaid


Nebraska ACA Plans

Nebraska Medicaid


Nevada ACA Plans

Nevada Medicaid

New Hampshire

New Hampshire ACA Plans

New Hampshire Medicaid

New Jersey

New Jersey ACA Plans

New Jersey Medicaid

New Mexico

New Mexico ACA Plans

New Mexico Medicaid

New York

New York ACA Plans

New York Medicaid

North Carolina

North Carolina ACA Plans 

North Carolina Medicaid

North Dakota

North Dakota ACA Plans 

North Dakota Medicaid


Ohio ACA Plans

Ohio Medicaid 


Oklahoma ACA Plans

Oklahoma Medicaid


Oregon ACA Plans

Oregon Medicaid


Pennsylvania ACA Plans 

Pennsylvania Medicaid

Rhode Island

Rhode Island ACA Plans

Rhode Island Medicaid

South Carolina

South Carolina ACA Plans 

South Carolina Medicaid

South Dakota

South Dakota ACA Plans

South Dakota Medicaid


Tennessee ACA Plans

Tennessee Medicaid

Texas ACA Marketplace

Texas ACA Plans

Texas Medicaid


Utah ACA Plans 

Utah Medicaid


Vermont ACA Plans

Vermont Medicaid


Virginia ACA Plans 

Virginia Medicaid


Washington ACA Plans

Washington Medicaid

Washington DC

Washington DC ACA Plans 

Washington DC Medicaid

West Virginia

West Virginia ACA Plans 

West Virginia Medicaid


Wisconsin ACA Plans 

Wisconsin Medicaid


Wyoming ACA Plans

Wyoming Medicaid

How to Enroll in a Silver ACA Plan

Enrolling in an ACA Silver Plan is a simple process facilitated through the ACA Marketplace. To begin, find an insurance agent to help narrow the options based on your needs. You can also review plans online through the ACA Marketplace website for your state.

Remember that there is an annual Open Enrollment Period during which you can sign up for coverage. However, certain qualifying life events, like losing other healthcare coverage or experiencing changes in family status, may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period, allowing enrollment outside the regular Open Enrollment Period. Reviewing specific enrollment dates and special circumstances is essential to ensure you access all the necessary coverage for your unique situation.

Compare Silver ACA plans in your area

Ready to find the perfect ACA Silver Plan for you? Take control of your healthcare coverage today by comparing Silver ACA plans. Discover affordable options with comprehensive benefits tailored to your needs. Don’t miss out on the chance to secure your health and financial well-being.

Related Content